Saturday, June 25, 2011

Taco Salad



Tacos are one of my all time favourite foods! I love mexican food and pretty much anything with a lot of spices in it. 


I have cut grains and processed foods out of my diet so I am a lover of taco salad! This is my favourite meal for sure. The other day when my husband was making us dinner, I asked to see the ingredients list on the taco seasoning container
and found that autolyzed yeast extract was listed as an ingredient. Companies are sneaky and sneaking MSG into products with names of ingredients that contain MSG (monosodium glutamate), such has autolyzed yeast extract. I know it fooled me into thinking that meant no MSG until I researched it a bit. Another common one is basically anything with the word "hydrolyzed" in front of it. So! watch out for those!


I wanted taco seasoning without any additives and it was at the health food store for $2.99 a packet! That is way too expensive to buy every time you want to have tacos. If it's for a lot of people or you want leftovers, you may have to use more than a packet. So I found some recipes on the internet and modified it to fit my own taste. I would recommend doubling the recipe if you need to so you have some handy in the future.


Taco seasoning:
4 Tbsp chili powder
1 tsp garlic powder
1 tsp onion powder
1 1/4 tsp crushed red pepper flakes
1 tsp dried oregano
2 tsp paprika
1 tsp arrowroot powder (this is used as a thickener so omit if you like)
4 tsp cumin
4 tsp sea salt
4 tsp black pepper


Mix all ingredients together


Taco dressing:
1/2 cup of salsa
1 Tbsp of grapeseed oil veganaise (don't use regular veganaise as it is made with canola oil)


Mix all ingredients together




I don't have a ratio of how much seasoning to add to a pound of cooked ground meat(we like wild game). I just add to taste with a bit of filtered water and let that simmer. 


As for the salad, add whatever you like. I like mixed greens, bell peppers, red onion, cucumbers, etc.


mmmmm....soooo good! The taco seasoning is actually way better! I can't really explain how much better it is, either I need to improve my vocabulary or you should just make the switch to homemade seasoning. 




Om nom nom nom nom


Nicole










No comments:

Post a Comment

I always LOVE to hear your point of view or questions!